I had a very wide variety of experiences with coding this week. I updated my Linked List Generator and Editor in C code to create binary trees instead of just linked lists. My assignment this week is to further edit that code, so I think I'll post the final one once I add in extra functions such as one to delete nodes and one to tell the user whether the tree is balanced or not. I'm actually really enjoying making larger programs, but I'm wishing I'd had a better grasp on recursion when I took discrete math about a year ago. I guess wishing I'd remembered things from prerequisite classes is kind of the story of my college experience, though.
I also wrote my first working Assembly Language code this week. It was with my lab group in my Microprocessors/Computer Architecture class (see the full code and pictures here ). I've had some trouble grasping Assembly Language, so I've been meeting with my professor a lot, but I feel like I'm really starting to get it. I'd better since my first midterm is next Firday :O
I also downloaded Eclipse so I can start teaching myself Java. I'm in the process of making my first Andriod app, so of course Java is a must.
Now, since my About Me paragraph on this blog claims that I'll talk about my "struggles and accomplishments", I guess I'm obligated to talk about the not-so-good things that happened in the past few weeks:
I had my first technical interview... and it did not go as smoothly as planned. I'm usually great in interviews, so I assumed I could just show up and be friendly and who knows better than me what my technical experience is, right? Wrong... so wrong. I think I get the hype around interview prep, now. I was stumped by the first question I was asked and this just sent me into a spiral of nervous, blushing forgetfulness. I didn't know a good way to say "I don't even know what you're asking me" so I just didn't say anything! I tried to recover, but I was so flustered, there was no saving that interview.
I received a nice refusal letter from the company, though, and I replied asking to stay in touch about future opportunities, so who knows? At least now I know what to expect and that interview prep is definitely worth the time. I'm going to a conference at the beginning of next month that will be putting on mock technical interviews, so I'll definitely have the opportunity to try again in a lower-stress environment.
My next updates should bring information on internship applications and maybe some small Java codes. Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment